Keeping of Helix Lucorum
Helix Lucorum is known as mountain mollusk or Lucorum. Although, they are not so popular as grape snails, they are also cultivated for sale and for the use of mucus, used in cosmetology.
Helix Lucorum snails are located in separate boxes with 40-50 pieces in each. Nets are placed on the top of the boxes in order to prevent snails’ escape. The boxes are placed on the shelves.
Type of weather
Eastern Mediterranean and Asia Minor are native territories of Lukorum, therefore these snails are called mountain. In Ukraine, Helix Lucorum can be met in the Crimea due to its warm climate and favorable conditions. In the colder regions of Ukraine, it is possible to cultivate Lukorum in closed farms only.
In the conditions of artificial cultivation, the temperature of 20-26 degrees and humidity level should be properly maintained:
- humidity is 60-90%;
- alternation of dry and wet periods;
- each period should last up to 14 days.
Lukorums need vegetation and calcified soil, so these species can be met in deciduous forests, fields and shrubs, as these places are the wettest.
When creating conditions for cultivation of Lukorum, it is necessary to think about the above mentioned factors. Soil should be calcified, as calcium strengthens the shell
Lukorum consumes organic food, so its diet must contain:
1. Vegetables and crops (cabbage, beets, horseradish).
2. Fruits and berries (bananas, grapes).
3. Balanced food. Thermally and mechanically processed food with a high content of substances useful for the snails. Usually, it contains barley, sorghum, lime flour and wheat bran.
4. Delicacies, namely eggs, cottage cheese, bread soaked in milk.
Mountain mollusk is hermaphrodite, so each snail has male and female features.
Prior to organize reproduction, special conditions should be created. Organization of vessels filled with a mixture of soil and lime sand. The mixture has to be wet. Laying eggs takes three days. The period of incubation lasts up to 27 days. Maintain the following climatic conditions in this period:
- 20 degrees Celsius (Celsius);
- 85% humidity;
- 8 hours of illumination of daylight and 16 hours without light.
Such conditions promote the speed of incubation period. The hatching starts in the 19th day.