Reproduction of Helix Aspersa
The most popular types of snails are Helix Aspersa . They have the same appearance as grape snails, but they are more beneficial to be grown in huge amounts. In addition, these snails can be reproduced earlier.
- Each mollusk, which has come from another continent, needs special conditions for reproduction. Temperature for Aspersa is20-25 degrees Celsius. In the greenhouses, the temperature for reproduction is 20 degrees, while the young species grow at 17 degrees. In case the farms are open, optimum temperature is 25 degrees.
- Humidity level is not less than 85%, but no more than 90%. In case the humidity is low, the spindle-shaped muscle may detach and cause snails’ death. However, if humidity level is too high, the snail hibernates
- Snails require correct food for development. They require grass, fresh food with the balanced amount of calcium. When snails are grown on large farms, they are given balanced mixtures, which contain different substances for growth and shell firmness. Mixed types of food is used in most farms: fresh herbal mixtures and special dry (powder) feed for snails.
- Purity influences the development of snails. Therefore, it is necessary to clean premises and cage regularly, because dirty premises can affect natural digestion cycle of the mollusk. The purity of the surroundings influences snail’s life.
- Soil. In order to ensure that snails get proper nutrition, the soli should contain enough amounts of calcium and useful nutrients. However, there are other factors except content, which are important, namely quality of the soil. For instance, the mollusk is unable to multiply in clay soil, which is too compacted under the influence of water and sun. Humus is perfect for snail farms. Snails lay eggs into the ground, therefore, it is necessary to have the soil fertilized with an acidity not exceeding 7.0 pH.
- Lighting and ventilation. These factors are very important, as the activity of mollusks depends on the amount of light and air in the cages and farm. If you create correct lighting (about 18 hours a day), the helix can grow faster. Clean air is required for breathing.
Hewlix Aspersa is ready for reproduction at the age of 7 months. It gives babies two times a year. 180 eggs can be laid per one laying. Mating process of snails can be seen in the farms. However, incubators and isolate premises are used for laying. After mating, the snails are separated for laying eggs. Transportation of caviar takes place under the following conditions:
- Acidity level of soil is 3,5-4,5 рН. Acid humus is optimal;
- Temperature is maintained at the level of 17-20 degrees;
- humidity 90%;
- Feeding is not needed. The first food that baby snails use is shard. It is rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Shard is the first food of a baby snail. It is rich in calcium and gives the baby snail all the required useful components and stimuli to leave the soil. .
As soon as snails become older, they are ready for mating. They choose a partner and mating starts.